Grove Avenue, LEED for Homes highlights
The Grove Avenue project earned LEED Gold certification under the LEED for Homes program, which offers third-party verification for the design and construction of high-performing, environmentally sensitive homes. Highlights of the Grove Avenue project’s sustainable features are listed below.
To learn more about the LEED for Homes program, please click here.
- The density of Richmond
- Within ½ mile of 14 basic community services
- Within ½ mile of a public park
- Access to existing infrastructure
- Native sedums provide a carpet of seasonal color throughout the year and a variety of native plants further enhance the space while providing habitat for various fauna such as birds and butterflies.
- Landscaping composed of native and drought-tolerant plants
- Heat island effect reduced with high-albedo materials on all hardscapes
- Roof runoff managed by a green roof and permanent rainwater harvesting system
- Raingarden captures overflow from rainwater harvesting system
- Rainwater harvesting system collects rainwater for irrigation
- RainHOG rainwater collection
- High-efficiency fixtures throughout
The south facade features both photovoltaic and solar thermal collectors.
- Overall energy performance exceeds the requirements of ENERGY STAR for Homes
- 6kW photovoltaic array reduces grid dependency
- Solar thermal array provides domestic hot water
- No HCFC refrigerants in HVAC system
- Material-efficient framing practices
- Environmentally-preferable products, including low-VOC and locally produced materials
- Construction waste is sorted and recyclable and salvageable materials are diverted from the landfill
Indoor Environmental Quality
- Automatic timers enhance local exhaust measures
- ENERGY STAR labeled bathroom exhaust fans
- Air filters meet or exceed MERV 13
- Shoe removal + storage space at the main entry controls indoor contaminants
- Lack of garage reduces occupant exposure to indoor pollutants
- Enhanced training provides homeowner with the information needed to operate the home’s systems most efficiently
- Public awareness of the benefits of LEED for Homes enhanced through tours of the project and Web coverage